Sunday, August 3, 2008

Who Do YOU Call?



originally posted -Ms. Rae's Moment of Faith Blog @ Chinue Christian Fellowship
Last year, I had an experience that will leave an indelible mark on my faith. I’m an individual that try my best to find the positive in most situation and pray first. I must admit that often time when our bodies are racked with pain we forget or lose focus. We begin to seek help in places everywhere.

I’m a headache sufferer and I deal with chronic pain constantly. There are days when I can’t get out of bed due to the pain. I was in the midst of a 6 month spell with no relief. The doctors were baffled by what was going on and I felt like a human guinea pig. My family and friends were sympathetic but confused by the situation. All I could do was continue to function as best I could while sleeping through the various pain medications.

This one day my pain got so unbearable that I didn’t know what to do. I begin by calling out to everyone I knew for help. Due to my history of pain I have a close relationship with my pain doctor, I can usually call him at any hour of the day, so he was the first person I called and he was out of the office. I left a message for him to call as soon as possible because the pain was insufferable. I am so blessed to have a group of wonderful family and friends so I began to call them hoping that if I could just talk to them I could make it though the pain. Of course they couldn’t remove the pain but I felt like if I could just get my mind off the pain, Lord knows I’d feel better. My dear friend that lives in town, that always takes my call no matter what time of the day, I gave her a rang. Can you believe her cell phone was off? I proceeded to call my male friend who I knew was at work. Unfortunately, he was in an area where he couldn’t receive calls at that time. I proceeded through my list of supportive buddies. One by one, I got voice mails or ringing phones. This normally doesn’t happen. I have such a great group of friends that are always there for me.

I must admit that as I placed each phone call my anxiety level escalated which made my pain skyrocket. For those of you who have experienced any kind of pain, you don’t want to mix anxiety with pain. Basically, I began to get sicker by the minute.

In the midst of all this, I forgot to call on the one that was always there for me. The one when times were hard had gotten me through so many other situations. The one that just a few years before when my body was raked with pain and I called on Him he got me through. The one when I felt so alone that when I just called on His name I felt peace in the midst of the storm. The one when my friends turned their backs on me was my best friend. I forgot to call on Jesus. I forgot to Pray in the midst of this. I called all over the country to family and friends but I forgot to pray. I forgot to call on the one that told me in His word that “I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee”, Hebrews 13:5

Later, after a friend found me passed out from an overdose of pain killers, I realized it was Him who had kept me from dying in that bedroom all alone. I realized that God was not through with me. He had gotten me through so many situations and knew that I had so much more living to do. He had work for me to do and I thank God for another opportunity to praise His name. In the hospital, I prayed without cease. I didn’t have a bible to read but thankfully I was able to just talk to the Lord in secret prayer and tell Him all about my troubles and pains. My body was still in pain. Actually, it was in worse pain than before but I realized that God was still in control. I’m thankful today just to be alive.

Saints, Who do you call in the midst of your pain? When you’re going through a tough situation? When your friends turn their backs on you? When you don’t know how you’re going to pay your bills? When you’re your kids forsake you? Who will you call? The bible says, “Pray without ceasing,” 1 Thessalonians 5:17. We should not let our faith waiver because we’re going through a storm. This is when we should be focused on HIM. Pray continuously. He will answer our prayers. Call on HIM today!!!! May God Bless and Keep you.

Ms. Rae
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me", Philippians 4:13

No comments: