Monday, April 5, 2010

What does Temptation Look Like?

"Yield Not to Temptation, for Yielding is Sin" - old spiritual hymn


Praise God for discernment!


But let's be real for a moment, we do not always heed to that discerning spirit. Come on now if you can't be real with me, be real with God cause he'll be real with you.


I know I have this spirit that talks to me but Lord knows sometimes temptation talks louder than that spirit. Oh, I feel like screaming as I write this. Matthew wrote in chapter 26 verse 41, "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." This was not written to be used as an excuse but a way to acknowledge temptation and how to handle it.


Temptation has a way of looking sexy, making you feel good and desirable. Temptation has a way of making you feel like you're the man on the moon. Temptation has a way of talking to you like Tyler Perry's Madea. "Hey, Hiya Doing?" Like you're all special. I'm laughing now cause we all know how temptation can be.


We sisters in the spirit must feel like Eve in the garden talking to the serpent. Do you really think brothers look like a snake, smell like a snake, or even walk like a snake? Lord have mercy NO! He looks good in our eyes, smells like Michael Jordan's new cologne, and Lord Jesus has a swagger like an angel. And brothers, we know sisters have a way of looking delicious with their own heavenly scent and a beautiful sway of her hips.


I say all that to show you temptation doesn't always look like a serpent or the devil. Temptation has a way of making you feel desirable one moment and undesirable the next. Don't let temptation take you away from what God has for your life. It's far greater that any momentary satisfaction. If that individual is who God has placed in your path as your help meet you will know. It will be a feeling that's far greater than what that sister looks like or that brother's swagger. God will reveal it to you if you allow that discerning spirit to speak louder than temptation.


Remember, temptation isn't a sin, yielding to it is what takes you outside of the grace of God.


"he said unto them, Pray that ye not enter into temptation", Luke 22:40


I pray for strength for all of us as we continue to recognize temptation and yield not to it. I also pray something I say on this blog is a blessing to you and your friends as I share the words that God lays on my heart. May God bless and keep you all.

No comments: